Neighbourhood Watch Message
Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service (GFRS) has joined other services around the country to urge residents to stop using white goods that have been recalled.
GFRS attends more than two incidents every month involving defective white goods and, as part of their Safe and Well campaign, carry out free checks of all white goods in the home.
Trained teams will visit, free of charge, and carry a full safety check for residents. You can book a visit by calling free on 0800 180 41 40 or visiting www.glosfire.gov.uk.
White goods fire safety tips:
- Be sure to register your appliances so you can be contacted if a safety repair is ever needed. It’s easier than you think! Visit http://www.registermyappliance.org.uk/
- You can also use the free “self service” model checker on the following websites or call 0800 151 0905 to confirm if your appliance is affected and for details on the next steps should your model require corrective action.
- Don’t leave appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines and tumble dryers running overnight or when the house is empty.
- Good housekeeping can reduce the risk of fire – dusty vents on fridges should be cleaned and lint filters cleaned regularly.
- If your tumble dryer is taking longer to dry your clothes, the vent hose may need cleaning out.
- Research reveals that 32% of people would continue to use white goods even if they started making strange noises. It’s never wise to ignore strange appliance noises – turn the appliance off and call an electrician.
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms and a fire escape plan.
Visit www.glosfire.gov.uk for more tips and advice about electrical safety