In these early days Hucclecote was really just a scattered hamlet of farmsteads and cottages at the foot of Chosen Hill. According to local tax records only eight eligible residents lived in Hucclecote in 1327.
Over the next few centuries the village expanded along Churchdown Lane to the crossroads with Ermin Street (this section of road is now called Hucclecote Road). Ermin Street linked Gloucester with Oxford and London, and for a while there was a turnpike in the village.
As Hucclecote was located on an important road several inns were built in the area. The earliest one dates back to 1451, when records show a man was brewing and selling ale here. In 1598 there was an inn called the Fiery Beacon; another (recorded in 1726) was called the General Wood. The latter may have had an outdoor bowling alley and was possibly renamed the Royal Oak in 1841.
Further to the east was the Wagon and Horses,(first recorded in 1767), and the Victoria opened by 1846. The Royal Oak, the Wagon and Horses and the Victoria still survive.
During World War II, the company produced 200 Henlys, 2,750 Hurricanes, 3,300 Typhoons and more than 200 Meteor jet fighters. In 1941 George Carter, in conjunction with Sir Frank Whittle, constructed, produced and test flew the E28/39 in Hucclecote – this was the first jet engine aircraft ever to be flown by Britain or any of its allies.
In 1964 the site became a trading estate. In the late 1980’s the trading estate closed and was then redeveloped into the Gloucester Business Park. Some of the land was sold off for housing and retail units such as Tesco. The Cranham Gate housing estate was developed in the early 1990’s and the Coopers Edge development commenced after planning permission was granted in 2005.